HONEST CRUST ACT
Did you know ‘freshly baked’ loaves could have been made months ago or that certain additives don’t appear on industrial loaf labels?
The call for ‘Honest Crust Act’ is a movement act practise in UK to give greater protection for shoppers creating a more level playing field for all bakers and retailers.
Their call for bakers and retailers to clearly state the list of ingredients including any processing aids or other artificial additives and emulsifiers usage are to be displayed accordingly.
The legal definition for the terms ‘fresh’ and ‘freshly baked’ when used in the marketing of loaves should not be misused.
Following the French example
On this issue let’s take inspiration from France, which on 13 September 1993 issued Décret n°93-1074 – which could easily be called The Real Bread Act.
This decree (law) states that bread may be marketed/sold as pain de tradition française, pain traditionnel français, pain traditionnel de France, or under similar names only if it is made:
1. Without any artificial additives
2. From a mixture of only wheat bread flour, drinkable water and cooking salt
3. Bakers’ yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and leaven (as defined below), or one of the two permitted optional extras (maximum in relation to flour weight) are 2% bean meal; 0.5% soybean meal; 0.3% malted wheat flour.
The decree also:
1. Prohibits the dough or bread from being frozen at any point in the process
2. States that loaves can only be sold/marketed as pain maison (or similar) if it is fully kneaded, shaped and baked (i.e. no bake-off loaves) in the place at which it is sold to the final consumer. The term can also be used when the bread is sold to final consumers elsewhere only if it is sold by the baker who did the kneading, shaping and baking
3. Limits the use of the term ‘sourdough’ to bread with a maximum pH of 4.3 and an acetic acid content of at least 900 parts per million
4. Defines the composition of ‘leaven’ (levain)
enjoué support this Honest Crust Act and we are proud to reiterate and assure our valued customers that all our breads are made honestly with pure, wholesome ingredients and without any chemicals.
Content of this Honest Crust Act listed above are extracted from Real Bread Campaign. More information about this act can be found on the webpage: https://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/bread_labelling